In order to adapt to today’s social diversity, the university has made efforts to integrate resources across relative fields. A Bachelor’s program with double expertise was proposed based on the knowledge of science. This interdisciplinary program of science frees from restrictions regarding education and learning exclusively in one department. The program was launched in 2006 and enrollment was started in July of the same year.
The program aims to cultivate talented individuals who have an international perspective and an appropriate scientific background across fields. Regardless of the discipline, according to their aptitude and interest, students will attend core courses such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry study groups, and also take courses for another expertise offered by other departments in different colleges. In addition, the university will assist the students in doing further study or internships at any top university or research institution in the world.
1. About the program: the program is highly flexible. The common first year courses are physics, chemistry, calculus, etc. During the sophomore year, students take specific courses in the core subjects of mathematics, chemistry, and physics, in order to build a solid science background. In the junior year, students will double major and take other courses at the college of Science or at departments in other colleges according to their aptitude and interests. Seniors can take advanced courses or a campus-wide program.
2. Counseling service: starting from the freshman year, all students, in accordance with their aptitude and interests, will be advised about their lives and academic work by professors called mentors from different fields.
3. Case studies: students are encouraged and advised to carry out case studies as early as possible. They are free to choose any interdisciplinary research topics and will be taught by a number of professors from various departments, using software and hardware provided by school faculties, funding and a variety of incentives provided by the office of the registrar, in order to nurture creative and talented individuals across various fields.
4. Study abroad: sophomore and junior students will have trips arranged for them to world-class universities. This will be in the summer as an exchange program, in order to develop international perspective and enhance creativity for their dual expertise in interdisciplinary fields and their technological talent.
5. Dual degree: all students are granted a degree in science with a double expertise. The total number of the credits needed for the degree is 128, which is the same in number as a single major department, like mathematics, physics, and chemistry. This won’t add too much load to the students.
Double expertise is available by combining courses such as electrical engineering, materials, information, biotechnology, chemical engineering, and power mechanical engineering with related application courses across fields such as chip design, biomedical engineering, nanotechnology, photonics, and MEMS, leading to the development of high standards of scientific research, based on a high-quality science education.